Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Staying Healthy During Testing Week

For all my fellow Texas Teachers, STAAR testing is about to begin next week. I know that at my school, the administration tries to really show their appreciation for their teachers, because they know how stressful testing is, and how not-fun it is to pace around a room for 4+ hours while your students take a scary test.  How do they show their appreciation? Through food: Delicious chips and queso, donuts, potluck lunches, and tons of candy. 


None of these foods make your body feel fantastic. In fact, I feel like they make me feel more sluggish and more like crawling back into bed. Here is how I am trying to combat the school snacks during a stressful time: 


  • Bring a healthy snack. I adore Cuties (you know, the tiny mandarins that are very easy to peel?). I will bring 4 of these to work to snack on if I get any cravings. I also like to bring any type of fruit (bananas and apples are easy to grab and go, however apples are a bit more difficult to eat as an easy snack.)
  • Plan time to be outdoors. It has been so nice here lately. Today it was 88 degrees F! I make sure that 3 days out of the work week, I make sure that I go outside. I will go for a long walk around the neighborhood, or go to the school nearby and swing. It is so nice to just enjoy the sunshine, and it really helps boost endorphins when you are out moving. 
  • Don't take a trip to the teachers' lounge! There are so many temptations in the teachers' lounge... don't do it! You do not need that donut. 
  • Drink plenty of water. Another danger of the teachers' lounge is the soda machine. I have stopped drinking soda since December, and I surprisingly haven't had to deal with many cravings anymore. However, I know that last year, this was the time where I started drinking soda religiously, and even was having Red Bulls on the regular. I bring a water bottle and keep filling it up in order to stay hydrated. If I'm feeling like I want some flavor, I will pour in some water enhancer (usually pink lemonade).
Let me know if you have any other tips for staying healthy during stressful times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment